Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Fuck.

I woke up and started shaking uncontrollably when I saw that man had been elected president.

We mourn today.

We need to put the work in tomorrow.

If you need crisis help, please please reach out. Your life is worth it.

From A Cup of Jo, good ways to nourish yourself and others right now

We’ll make big changes on a larger scale, but also here are ways to help on an individual level, as Rachel Howe pointed out: Ask everyone if they are okay and if they’re not see what you can do. Say hi to strangers. Volunteer, anywhere. Shop locally. Host people in your home. Cook for yourself and others. Speak up when you see racism and sexist in action. Protest. Donate time and money. Talk to older people more. Talk to kids more. Teach empathy. If you feel your future is in danger, start now to build a secure foundation for yourself. If you’re in less danger, reach out to those who are and offer your time and money and care to them.


And then I will tell them that I fought. That I refused to let racism and sexism and xenophobia rule the day. That I would not be fooled into complacency. I’ll tell them that I knew we had incredible work to do and that it would require unprecedented bravery. I’ll tell them of my renewed resolve to raise thoughtful, compassionate, big-hearted children. I’ll tell them of my commitment to being an ally to people far more marginalized than I am.



A warm thread from A Practical Wedding They also include some good places to donate in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment